When getting support for items around your office and home many times you make that decision by who is local, by manufacturer (Like Chevy or Ford) or by reputation. However, when choosing a technology partner (That could be referred to as a Managed Service Provider (MSP), Value Added Reseller (VAR) or many other terms) that decision can be more difficult.
Typically, when it comes to technology you have a multitude of brands and technologies that need supported, from software to hardware and solutions that are as simple as Microsoft Office, all the way to your businesses continuity plan. I have seen many providers come and go after being in the industry for over 10 years. With that experience, I have made a short list of items that are key to selecting a technology partner. Your technology partner should:
- Have defined and documented response service levels
- Be able to help with your technology budget and planning
- Be certified in the solutions they sell
- Have partnerships with their vendors
- Have a relationship that is about your business, not their technology
- Have a deep team that has individual specializations and expertise
Making the choice can impact your profitability, employee satisfaction, customer satisfaction and ultimately the ability to compete in your market. Taking time to interview and compare providers is important in today’s quickly changing markets.